Master of Science in Community Psychology Degree - Application Requirements
- Signed Application
- Three Recommendations (at least two must be professional or academic - forms available here)
- Official Transcripts Showing a Baccalaureate Degree and Any Graduate Level Coursework
- Portfolio Requirements Listed Below
- Criminal Background Check
Alverno does not require standardized test results. Instead, the personal portfolio will be used to help determine your potential for success and ability to demonstrate graduate level analytical writing and critical thinking skills. You should therefore commit significant time and give serious thought to the preparation of your portfolio.
Statement of Background and Personal/Professional Intent
Submit an autobiographical narrative statement that clearly describes your interest, experience and goals for work in the area of community psychology. Your narrative statement should address the questions listed below. The Admissions Committee will use the questions as criteria for evaluating your statement. (Note: this is a narrative statement, not simply questions and answers.) Your narrative statement must be double-spaced and limited to five pages.
- Why are you pursuing a graduate degree at this time? Give some information about yourself and your motivation to pursue a graduate degree.
- Why a degree in Community Psychology? Are you interested in counseling or community research and consultation? What career are you planning to pursue as you complete this degree?
- As you think about your personal development, what and/or who has influenced your decision to pursue Community Psychology?
- What community interests or involvements do you presently have and how do these connect with your interest in Community Psychology?
Written Communication Samples
As a demonstration of your ability to engage in effective practice in a professional setting, please submit two written academic writing samples, i.e. research paper or similar. If you have been out of school for more than five years, you may choose to submit substantial work-related samples in lieu of academic samples. Attach a half sheet to each sample with information about the context of the sample and why you chose it.
In evaluating your communication sample, the Admissions Committee will use the following criteria:
- The writing sample reflects the ability to write clearly and coherently using a consistent writing format, including the appropriate use of grammar and spelling.
- The writing sample includes relevant evidence to support your ideas and your thesis.
- All outside sources in the writing sample are appropriately cited, including a reference section.
- The writing sample has a clear structure with an introduction, body and conclusion that center around a clear thesis statement.
You may submit your Written Communication Samples and Statement of Background and Personal/Professional Intent through email, mail or fax.
3400 S 43rd St.
PO Box 343922
Milwaukee, WI 53234-3922
Meet Your Admissions Counselor:
Your admissions counselor is Carolyn Wise. She will assist you throughout your admission process and provide you with additional details about the Master of Science in Community Psychology. You may call her directly at 414-382-6045 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Master of Science in Community Psychology is open to men and women.
Licensed Professional Counselor
Community Research & Consultation